西陣魚新とは

西陣魚新の歴史

文化文政年間(江戸時代末期1804-1830)、東山五条の大黒町通りで皇室ご用達の酒造・醤油商を営んでいた美濃屋伊三郎の次男が、同じ場所で同じく酒造・醤油商を営んでいた角屋に、角屋新助として養子に入ったことから、店の歴史が始まる。
江戸後期の弘化年間(1844-1847)に、方広寺大仏前各町の全戸が移転するよう命令が出されたことにより、二代目の時、染織の芸術品・西陣織生産の中心地、西陣に移転し、安政二年(1855)に料理屋を開業した。
料理屋に転業するにあたり、常にもてなしの「心」を持ち続けるために、屋号の角屋の「角」の字に「心」を付けた「魚」の漢字と、創業者の新助の「新」の漢字をつなげ、店名を「魚新」と名付けた。
料理の流儀には、四条流、四条園部流、生間流、大草流、進士流などいろいろな流儀があるが、もとは一つで、そのいずれもが、四条山陰卿がルーツとなっている。各流派の料理人は、明治維新(1867年徳川幕府の終了)まで皇室や幕府、皇族などに仕えた。明治維新の後は、新しい時代に変わり、各料理人は職を辞し、町中に住まいを移した。そして、料理屋の主人に頼まれて、包丁の使い方や、儀式の切形(賓客をもてなすための包丁を使った儀式)、調理技術、料理の盛り付けかたなどの秘伝を伝え、日本の貴族の食事に由来する独特の「有職(ゆうそく)料理」が伝えられた。この「有職(ゆうそく)料理」を今でも受け継いでいるのが「西陣魚新」である。
当店は、大正天皇と昭和天皇の大礼(即位大餐の宴)の料理を担当したことをはじめ、平成天皇即位の際の京都御所での茶会(1990年12月3日)も担当した。また、大正時代には東京の山王下(さんのうした)に支店があり、朝鮮王朝の季王の皇族をもてなしたほか、北白川宮家(きたしらかわのみやけ)、閑院宮家(かんいんのみやけ)、伏見宮家(ふしみのみやけ)、山階宮家(やましなのみやけ)といった宮家(皇族)の専属料理人でもあった。
当店の名物のひとつに、煮た豆腐に若挟ぐじ(甘鯛)を乗せ、野菜の入った餡(とろみの付いた汁)をかけた「今出川豆腐」がある。閑院宮載仁(ことひと)親王はこの料理が好物で、何度もおかわりをされた。当店では、この料理を「宮様豆腐」と呼び、大切に受け継いでいる。
西陣魚新では、その季節の旬の食材を使って料理することを心がけている。昔から日本料理は自然と一体であり、季節の移り変わりを料理で表現してきた。日本人は昔から、その季節ならではの食材の出始めにはその食材を食べることを楽しみにして待ち、その食材が豊富にそろう「旬」にはそれを選んで味わい、食材の旬の終わりには、食べられなくなることを残念に思いながら次の季節を待った。当店では、このような日本の風習を意識的に献立に組み入れ、緊張しながらも、想いを込めて料理し、来店した客に楽しんでもらえるよう心がけている。
店の入口に掲げた麻の白のれんは皇族の専属の店のみに許されたものであり、そこには店のシンボルである、二匹の鯛が向き合った「鯛の鯛」が描かれている。その誇りの白のれんを掲げながら、店の伝統の技と味を頑なに守り、店を続けている。
現代は料理の安全性や信頼性が重視される時代である。長い歴史を持つ当店はブランドの魅力を持っているが、料理の安全性や信頼性を維持するためには、時代に応じた工夫が常に求められる。当店はブランドだけに頼ることのないように心がけている。
当店の八代目の主人は、京都府知事と商工会議所から、100年以上続いている「京の老舗」として表彰を受けた。歴史と文化と食を合わせて楽しんでもらいたい。

History of Nishijin Uo-shin

The history of Nishijin Uo-shin begins In the Bunka-Bunsei period (late Edo period) when Isaburo Minoya, the second son of a brewery and soy sauce business on Daikokucho street, Higashiyama-Gojo purveyor to the Imperial household, was adopted to Sumiya, which ran the same business on the same street, and named Shinnosuke Sumiya. In the Koka era (1844-1847) of the second half of the Edo period, under decree all the houses in front of the great Buddha statue at Hoko-ji temple were ordered to move. From the second generation, the business moved to Nishijin, the center of textiles, crafts, and Nishijin silk fabric, and opened as a restaurant in 1855. Changing the business to a restaurant, it was important to keep a high level of hospitality. For the restaurant’s name, the Chinese character for fish was combined with the character from the owner’s name, “Shin” to make “Uo-shin.”
The cuisine style has its roots in the Shijo Yamakage style, which is the origin of the many cuisines in Kyoto: Shijo-school, Shijo-Sonobe school, Ikuma-school, Ogusa-school, and Shinji-school. All the chefs of each school served the Bakufu government and Imperial Household until the Meiji Restoration (or end of Tokugawa Bakufu government in 1867). After the Meiji Restoration was the beginning of a new period, and chefs of each school resigned from their posts and began living in the city. There, they were hired by restaurants to teach what were once trade secrets such as knife skills, cutting ceremonies (to serve guests of honor), culinary skills, and food presentation techniques.  “Yusoku” (court household) cuisine, originally made for Japanese aristocrats, was now available to the city at large. Nishijin Uo-shin continues this tradition of “yusoku” cuisine.
At Nishijin Uo-shin, we have been in charge of providing the food for enthronement ceremonies of the Taisho and Showa emperors, as well as a tea ceremony at the Kyoto Imperial Palace for the enthronement of the Heisei emperor on December 3, 1990. Furthermore, during the Taisho period, we opened a branch restaurant in Tokyo called Sannoshita, and also served the family of Korean emperor of the Chosen dynasty. Nishijin Uo-shin also was the exclusive purveyor to the following prince households: Kitashirakawa no Miyake, Kanin no Miyake, Fushimi no Miyake, and Yamashina no Miyake.
One of our specialty dishes is “Imadegawa tofu,” which consists of tilefish on boiled tofu covered with a thick vegetable sauce. Prince Kanin no Miya Kotohito was particularly fond of this dish, and visited the restaurant many times. We know call this dish “the Prince Tofu” and continue to serve it with pride. At Nishijin Uo-shin, we make efforts to use the freshest seasonal ingredients for our dishes. Japan cuisine since the past has been in harmony with nature and expresses the changes of the seasons in food. Japanese people since olden days have enjoyed waiting to eat certain ingredients for the first time during each season, choosing select “shun” items, and when they are no longer available, the next season is anticipated. At Nishijin Uo-shin, we have consciously incorporated this Japanese custom into our menu, and do our very best to ensure that guests can enjoy our cuisine.
The white noren curtain that hangs at our entrance made only by a special shop to the Imperial household. On it is our symbol, two sea breams facing each other, a pattern also called “tai no tai” in Japanese. The noren curtain expresses our steadfast preservation of techniques and taste, which we continue until today. Now is a time where trust in food safety is more and more important. While we have a name value with our long history, we are always incorporating new innovations to maintain food safety. We make the utmost efforts, not just relying on our name. The current 8th generation owner has received recognition by Kyoto Prefecture as well as the Kyoto Chamber of Commerce and Industry as being a “long-standing Kyoto establishment,” only given to those with a history of 100 years or more. At Nishijin Uo-shin, we hope you will enjoy the coming together of history, culture and food.

 

005   017  020